Saturday, May 17, 2014

Anita Marci's "My Papaya" Painting


    This painting was inspired by a gift from a friend. It is titled "My Papaya" and is 24" x 36" Acrylic on Canvas. I received my papaya quite unexpectedly. I am ashamed to say that even after ten years on  a tropical island I hadn't tasted the fruit and wasn't even sure if I liked it or not.  I cut it open and was immediately captivated by it's beautiful colors. The rich deep orange and the contrasting chocolate brown seeds were incredible.  I ran to get my camera and began to shoot. As I was shooting I began to become very interested in the seeds. They had such a unique shape to them and I knew I had to make them the main character of my story.
     Lately, I have been viewing my painting expressions as short stories.  I select my main character and then my supporting characters based on what I find most compelling.  I then proceed to direct the viewer through my narrative of color and form.
     So, the seeds were the story. I began to take them out of the fruit and I made a trail of them. I wanted to highlight the seeds even further by adding a cast shadow.  I had as much fun designing the composition and shooting it as I did painting it.  I added the peach background for color harmony. This is one of my faves!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment